Executive Board Job Descriptions
- Work as the primary aide to the president
- Helps lead a PTA toward specific goals consistent with PTA purposes and policies
- Performs president's duties in his or her absence
- Carries out other duties outlined in unit bylaws and standing rules or as assigned.
- Attends meeting as needed including council, district, and state PTA meetings
- Helps facilitate a smooth transition between incoming and outgoing officers and committee chairmen
- Takes minutes at board and association meetings.
- Co-signs formal papers with president: authorizations for payments, resolutions, and formal letters.
- Handles PTA correspondence as directed by the president.
- Maintains and preserves PTA records and important documents to pass on at the end of the term.
- Send notices of board meetings.
- Prepare a list of unfinished business from meetings for the president to follow up on.
- Notify officers and committee members of their election or appointment.
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions.
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association.
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association.
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report.
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates.
- Assists the president to manage meetings and advises on parliamentary procedure
- Chairs bylaws committee to review unit bylaws each year and revise bylaws every three years
- Arranges nominating committee's first meeting, providing information on nomination and election process.
- Maintain the the PTA site and social media accounts up to date
- Work with committee chairs to create flyers, postings, and email communications of upcoming events
- Send out monthly newsletter to PTA members
- Electronic communications: email account names and passwords, web hosting information, domain name information, social media usernames, logins and passwords, webmaster contact information
- Print publications: past issues, deadline schedules, duplicating process and mailing permit information, templates.
- Set attainable membership goals for the year.
- Develop a membership theme, if appropriate.
- Create a year-long calendar of membership events. Include due dates set by council and district PTAs for remittances, and for awards and incentives.
- Develop a budget to support your membership plan projects and events.
- Reviews the books and financial records of a PTA to determine their accuracy
- Presents written reports on financial reviews to the board for review and the association for adoption
- Uploads copies of adopted financial reviews to the document retention system as indicated in the unit bylaws
- Acts as official host of a PTA in creating welcoming atmosphere at meetings and events
- Works with committee and other chairman to organize and set up refreshments, food, decorations, registration, greeters and baby-sitting for PTA meetings and events
- Maintains hospitality supplies and equipment and an updated inventory for them
- Presents hospitality budget for approval at executive board meeting at start of the PTA year and monitor authorized budget
- Reports on hospitality plans at board meetings for forthcoming PTA events